Sunday, January 26, 2014

Broccoli Alfredo

One of my biggest challenges since giving up meat has been avoiding becoming a carbotarian.

No, carbotarian isn't an actual word, but it is the best way for me to describe people who replace meat with pasta or other forms of carbohydrates. This is a really easy habit to get into since they are filling and leave you feeling satisfied. I LOVE pasta (and bread, rice, etc.) so this has always been a problem for me, even as a meat eater.

 Last night I had a craving for fettuccini alfredo, but since I am really trying to cut back on the massive amount of carbs I normally eat, I made a minor adjustment and substituted veggies and gardein "chicken"! It definitely hit the spot and I felt full for the rest of the evening.


** Gardein makes a whole bunch of mock-meat products, such as chicken strips, meatballs, beef tips, etc. I found these "chicken breasts" in the frozen section of WalMart , and have also seen Gardein in various other grocery stores. Check out www.gardein.com for a complete list of products & some delicious recipes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment